Thursday, February 9, 2012


I am in Trieste! 
We arrived this afternoon from Venice via train, 2 hours.
Before we came, simply upon announcing our intention to come here
we were informed and warned of the Bora, the local Very Big Wind.
Even Italians who have never been to Trieste know about the Bora, 
and sort of advised against traveling to Trieste in the winter.
But here we are. Today is sunny and garden-variety cold, 
but no significant wind; however, when 
I stopped in at the tourist office, I was told, 
'the Bora was here yesterday, and will be here again tomorrow.'
So, we shall see. In any case, it is deemed somewhat 
dangerous to be out walking, as Bora wind gusts are commonly
upwards of 160 kph. There's a Harry's Bar outpost downstairs
in the lobby if we are housebound, so not to worry. . . 

We set out on a walk right after check-in, and the town
has a definite historical (Austro-Hungarian) feel.
Very elegant, very faded. The one thing missing to
complete the picture is a Tram running through the streets.*
There are numerous cafés in the downtown center
and the tendency to duck in for a quick cup seems common. 
Coffee is taken very seriously and is,
from what I've tasted thus far, delicious. 

Not so many Americans make it to Trieste I'm told - 
just the way I like it when I bother to travel so far from home.

*Update: there IS a Tram. Perfect. . .